Tuesday, August 23, 2011

All about the blues

My childhood home was filled with music. Dad was a rocker (I guess he still is). If it involves the Rolling Stones he knows about it. He also really loves classical music and has a strange affinity for opera.

Mom is all about the blues. I grew up watching her dance to B.B. King, losing herself in the rhythm. She still is a phenomenal dancer, despite her 56 years. Her parties have a distinct bluesy feel, which makes her guests feel like they're on the banks of the Mississippi, not a small-holding outside Johannesburg.

I guess a lot of that rubbed off on me and the sibling - I like to believe nature and nurture in equal parts. At Oppikoppi a guy told me he was perving over what happened to my body when I listen to Dan Patlansky. Of course he was middle-aged and kind of creepy, but that's not the point.

I don't know why I'm thinking about all this today. I guess it's to do with this picture by George Mitchell. It moves me.


No comments:

Post a Comment