Thursday, September 8, 2011

Linger

linger |ˈli ng gər|
verb [ intrans. ]
stay in a place longer than necessary, typically because of a reluctance to leave : she lingered in the yard, enjoying the warm sunshine | she let her eyes linger on him suggestively.
• ( linger over) spend a long time over (something) : she lingered over her meal.
• be slow to disappear or die : the tradition seems to linger on | we are thankful that she didn't linger on and suffer.

I love how kids take time to inspect things.  My friend's baby was so fascinated by my shirt the other day that the television, a bunch of toys and a cat couldn't distract him. I don't blame him, of course. It is a fantastic shirt.

I forget to sit still sometimes. I forget to pay attention to what's going on around me. When I do, the things I take for granted tend to blow mind - a song that I love, my cat's paw in the morning light, the view from my window, my best friend's hair, my mother's feet, my dad at work, my guitar, the smell of onions frying in butter.

Maybe I'll let myself linger a little longer this summer. Maybe I'll see what's right in front of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment