Thursday, March 22, 2012

Summer

summer 1 |ˈsəmər|
noun
the warmest season of the year, in the northern hemisphere from June to August and in the southern hemisphere from December to February : the plant flowers in late summer | a long hot summer | [as adj. ] summer vacation

Kristia van Heerden
 
Every afternoon I hopped onto my pink Strawberry bicycle with the little white basket on the front and the carrier that only barely held my haggardly blue schoolbag. Sometimes I would take to the streets with a purpose – buying a coke at the nursery on the corner or to enjoy the view from the cooling comfort of my friend’s swimming pool. Mostly I just rode around and around the neighbourhood until the trees cast long, comforting shadows, my sunburnt legs furiously pedalling while I constructed lifetime after lifetime of adventure and romance, of wealth and happiness. Ever the hero, my pedals transported me across galaxies to exotic destinations where I saved lives and fell in love. I watched the neighbourhood transform into a wonderland every afternoon and came home at dark with the summer in my hair. One day I waved to the neighbour’s daughter who laughed at the way my knees looked when I cycled and told me that oranges make me fat. The next day the streets didn’t change and then I got a bigger bike. In blue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment